Skip to main content

Imibala Unplugged Festival



The second installment of The Imibala Unplugged Festival will be held tommorow at the venue of choice for all events in PE, The Tramways. I am a big fan of live music and I truly believe in the potential of the artists that we have in the Bay.

The best thing about the line-up is that it is dominated by females. In music it can be truly said that women run things. The line-up includes the following artists:


The Scheubles are a family group that grew up in Schauderville. Their sounds are entrenched in gospel and contemporary music. The lead singers of the band are Megan and Ethan (seen above). The band has been performing their music at the Boardwalk every Sunday for the past two years.


Samantha Amanda Jennings most popularly knows as 'Miss Jay' is a local music powerhouse. She is a DJ whose sound has strong hip-hop influences but she does dabble with other genres such soul, jazz, r&b and other genres.

Miss Jay has garnered a large fanbase in Port Elizabeth and she is also the founder of the Sam Jam Sessions which are music showcases not to be missed, I know that I will most definitely be at the next one.


Lesedi Mlongo is a soulful sing/songwriter whose sound has been inspired by house music and notably afro jazz. She states that she has been moved by all the places that she has lived across the country and her music is reflective of this.




Vocalist and guitarist Julian Roy, who is relatively new to the local music scene hails from Kleinskool in the Northern Areas. As with most talented singers he got his big break in the church choir and can now be seen performing at the Bravo Bar at the Boardwalk.


The multi-talented Tarryne Swarts is the definition of success in music. She is a songwriter, pianist, producer and festival promoter. She has released a debut album titled 'Pachamama' in Granada. Tarryne's sound goes beyond the musical genre lines and it contains social messages.

This event is most definently not one to be missed by lovers of local music. Once we start supporting our local artists an industry can be developed that we can actually be proud of.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roundup: ‘Blood Legacy’

The latest release from Gambit Productions ‘Blood Legacy’ has just rightfully earned its spot on the list of the productions that have set the bar amongst this year’s releases with its stellar cast and quality production aesthetic that has had South Africa buzzing with excitement. You know those goosebumps you feel after watching a trailer for an upcoming Netflix or Showmax release, that is what I felt after I watched the trailer for Blood Legacy for the first time. The show which is set in Durban lived up to the standards that were set by the trailer. A great cast is the key ingredient The first aspect of the show that grabs your attention when you watch the first episode is the amazing casting. The combination of the legendary, veteran and the up-and-coming actors that we are lucky to have here in South Africa can be found on the show.   The legendary would be the late Connie Chiume and Sello Maake Ka-Ncube, the veterans would be Xolile Tshabalala, Pallance Dladla, Enhle...

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE: SAFW OPENING NIGHT PRESENTED BY CRUZ VODKA

  CRUZ VODKA GOES FLORAL FOR SAFW OPENING NIGHT CELEBRATION OPENING PARTY PICS   Johannesburg, South Africa -  Langhams Lifestyle Estate was ablaze with the hottest fashion affair of the season as CRUZ Vodka hosted an electrifying opening party. Attended by the crème de la crème of the South African fashion world, the event set a new standard for style, sophistication, and innovation ahead of South African Fashion Week, which kicks off tonight in Mzansi. Themed around the vibrant energy of New York with a delicate touch of floral, the dress code inspired attendees to showcase their unique interpretations of metropolitan chic intertwined with natural beauty. The result was a visual spectacle, with guests adorned in avant-garde ensembles that seamlessly blended urban flair with botanical elegance. Among the luminaries gracing the event were the icons of South African fashion, including the illustrious "stylist to the stars," Phupho Gumede, whose innovative styling has gra...

THE REAL HOUSEWIVES CORNER..........

It cannot be argued that one of the biggest reality tv franchises that have captured the world is the Real Housewives franchise. I am a dedicated fan and I am a follower of most of the cities. I will be using this segment of the blog to comment on the Real Housewives franchises so enjoy..... 1. The introduction of The Real Housewives of Lagos I must say that today was a significant day for the African Real Housewives franchises because they just received serious competition in the form of the ladies of Lagos. The premiere episode contained what I love in every premiere Real Housewives episode; we got a glimpse into the lives of five of the ladies and the episode contained both a touch of shade and humor. The only criticism I have is that the producers spent way too much screentime on each cast member this resulted in us as the viewers not getting enough scenes of the ladies interacting together but it was sufficient to get us to tune in next week. I must say I already have a few favori...